Well, having become absolutely cheesed off with having to rummage around under the seats for my sunnies, and other small items, I decided to do something about it.
You may ask “Why not use the glove box?” Have you ever tried opening the glove box whilst travelling? It needs the ignition key! So what I did was to make a centre console.
The first thing I had to do was to replace the floppy, crossover seat belt buckles, with rigid ones, out of a Commodore and from my friendly wrecker.
Then work out the dimensions and make a wooden box, which I padded with thin foam. The lid had some thick underfelt glued to it.
Checking to see how it fits.
The next step was to cover it with vinyl. Working out the shape was a nightmare, as was the sewing up of it. Then gluing it on.
Once the vinyl was glued on I glued a piece of black felt to the underside of the lid and then fitted a brass hinge and a wardrobe catch. This catch is to keep the lid centred, when closed, rather than as a lock, to relieve the sideways stress, on the hinge.
The last picture is of the completed console, as fitted and in use.
If I were to do it again I would make it wider at the top, forget about padding the box and instead of making a one piece vinyl covering I would glue several pieces on.