I'm showing my support for an icon of British Aviation that needs our help to fly in 2013. See www.vulcantothesky.org? Join me in changing your profile picture to show your support and spread the word. Visit the site to grab your image.
What's New on
The Pages of 'Bee' and 'Vee'
Thank you for helping Avro Vulcan XH558!
- Replacing the badly faded bonnet badge on the ZS.
- After making some changes for Chris Mottram I've rewritten my dynamo to alternator conversion notes.
- For a long time I've wondered whether it would be possible to build a test rig for the thermal instrument voltage stabiliser, to measure it's actual average voltage output. Then someone said his gauges were reading low, and the same with a replacement stabiliser, and wondered what he could do about it. Which prodded me into producing this.
- Another little job, replacing the ratty tailgate prop covers on Vee.
- Vee's clutch slave is weeping, so time for another replacement.
- Fed up with (not of!) being unable to easily find the emissions limits on the MOT web sites, I added them to mine.
Crikey, doesn't time fly!
- Additional MOT tests have been advisory from 1st Jan 2012, but will be failures from 1st April. Not all the new ones are applicable to classic MGs.
- Mid-Feb moved house - less bedrooms, more garaging (room for both MGBs, work bench and work space plus loads of racking), plus an octagonal paved area in the back garden and the second part of the Postcode contains my initials :o)
- Updated information about wiper motor speeds, parking and switches.
(Late) April 2011
Where have I been? Helping daughter and son-in-law with a major refurb on a house.
- All PDFs updated, plus one on buying and others experiences of restoration and running added.
- Some info on harness routing behind the dash.
- A little information on replacement keys.
- A couple of additional options on adding an anti-runon valve using a cheap OE valve from a scrapyard (any model, not just MGB).
- Five more episodes in the experiences of Herb Adler - replacement instrument voltage stabiliser, stiff door latches, electric door lock actuation, and alternative gearbox and seats.
- Changed the site structure to remove frames, which seem to have gone out of favour, having noticed that Chrome (for example) handles them in a completely different way to IE8. This should enable users to save individual pages to Favourites as well as me being able to publish links direct to chapters here and elsewhere. I've also added floating navigation buttons to the main section pages.
- Coil polarity and how to determine it, of particular interest when converting a car from positive ground to negative ground, see Ignition and click on 'Ignition Coil' and 'Should I reverse the coil connections when changing the car's polarity?'.
- Information on chassis number plates, see Body and click on 'Identification Numbers'.
- Clutch pedal return spring breakage, see Clutch ... and 'Pedal Return Spring', funnily enough.
- Decoding tyre-wall information, see Wheels and Tyres and click on 'Tyre markings'.
- Tonneau cover heelboard stud positioning, see Body and click on 'Tonneau Cover'.
- Late model door-mounted speaker cable routing, see Electrics click on 'Radio' and scroll down to the update.
- How corroded alternator bolts caused low voltage, see Electrics and click on 'Bad Connections'.
- Speedo cables and right-angle drives, see Miscellaneous click on 'Speedos' and scroll down to the update.
- The Mk2 windstop makes an appearance, see Body click on 'Windstop' and scroll down to the update.
- Another caliper and disc change (this time for a pal) and a couple of new tips, see Brakes click on 'Calipers and Discs' and scroll down to the update.
"Wot, no updates?"
Too busy touring Australia :o)
- Wheel Specifications at Wheels and Tyres.
- A number of options for mounting centre-lock wheels correctly on computer balancing machines, see Wheels and Tyres.
- A tool for removing centre-lock grease caps in front hubs, see Steering and Suspension.
- A note on one-wire alternators, see Electrics.
- Information on clutch master types, and a warning on one of them, see Clutch.
- 7-blade plastic fan orientation, see Cooling, click on 'Mechanical Fans' and scroll to the update.
- Details of how hardtops attach - Body.
- Current SU Burlen fuel pumps seem to be dual polarity despite the 'AZX' part numbers, see Fuel and click on 'Fuel Pumps' and scroll down to the update.
- Dunlop or Dayton wire wheels? See Wheels and Tyres and click on 'Wire Wheels'.
- Oil throwers face different ways on different engines, see Engine.
- Adjusting the fan belt at Cooling.
- Info on SU fuel pump venting at Fuel and click on 'Fuel Pump' and 'Mounting'.
- Some thoughts on coil polarity at Ignition and click on 'Ignition Coil'.
- Information on curing excessive oil consumption through the breather using a different type of front tappet chest cover at Engine and click on 'Crankcase Breathing', 'Problems', and scroll down to the update.
- Information on testing and diagnosis of fuel pump problems at Fuel and click on 'Fuel Pump'.
- A dissertation on body numbers at Body.
- More information on aligning prop-shaft components at Propshaft and click on 'Yoke Alignment'.
- Some information on handbrake cable lengths at Brakes.
- Lubricating locks at Body, click on 'Doors' and 'Key Locks' and scroll to the update.
- Removal of and problems with wind-down windows at Body.
- Bruce Mills's take on an emergency boot lid release at Body.
- A description and pictures of sealed wiring junctions in harnesses at Electrics.
- Some notes on hydraulic damper fluid and levels at Suspension.
- With E5, E10 and E85 ethanol fuels becoming more widely available some comments on compatibility and problems at Fuel.
- Detailed information on the setting of mechanical brake light switches and just how little tolerance exists at Brakes and click on 'Brake Light Switch'.
- Description and diagnosis of Brakes and Clutch master cylinders added.
- Connection of the HRW wiring to the hatch and the glass, see Electrics, Heated Rear Window, and scroll down to the update.
- Oil filter styles over the years, anti drain-back issues, and the perils of using particularly low-profile cartridge types at Engine.
- The perils of silicone fluid (if you were thinking of changing) at Brakes and click on 'Fluid'.
- Details of what water pumps and mechanical cooling fans were fitted when, and the various incompatabilities, at Cooling and click on 'Pumps'.
- Replacing axle rebound straps, see Axle.
- Replacement of rear dampers, see Suspension and Steering.
- Identifying condenser failure, see Ignition.
- Minor updates and corrections to information about horn pushes, see Electrics and click on 'Horns'.
- Some information about the GT headlining, see Body.
- A way of tweaking the hinges to get some of the door adjustments correct, see Body and click on 'Doors'.
- How bleeding the clutch 'cured' what looked like a release bearing problem, see Clutch.
- Mounted a drinks bottle holder for the Navigator, see Body.
- Cambelt change on the ZS, see ZS180 and click on 'Cambelt Change'.
- Information on fuel tanks, see Fuel and click on ... 'Tank'.
- Having a radio and keeping it, or how to conceal the fact one is installed, see Electrics click on 'Radio'.
- Added ZDDP info for Halfords oils (although it may not be of any use), see Engine click on 'Oils and ZDDP' and scroll down to the update.
- Information on rear dampers used over the years and their Armstrong part numbers along with putting together the right combination of drop-links, rebound straps and bump-rubber pedestals, see Suspension and click on 'Rear Lever-arm Dampers'.
- Information on what bulbs were used where, see Electrics and click on 'Bulbs'.
- Just what is that kink in the heater coolant return pipe for? See Heater.
- Protect your arm-rest cubby lid latch from breaking, see Body and click on 'Arm-rest Cubby'.
- Fitted a push-off spring to the heater water tap to stop it jamming closed when it had been turned fully off, see Heater, click on 'Heat Control' and scroll down to the update.
- More information added on conditioning chargers which can be left connected for extended periods of time, see Electrics and click on 'Batteries and Charging'.
- I need a battery cut-off system for the ZS as the alarm is putting a constant drain on the battery and shortening its life, just like the V8 was when that stopped being used every day. See ZS Bits, click on 'Battery' and look for the update.
- Strongly recommended after-market fitting kit for door key locks, see Body and click on 'Doors' and 'Key locks'.
- Finally managed to resolve a long-standing wheel wobble problem on Vee, see Wheels & Tyres, click on 'Balancing' and scroll down to 'V8 Balance Problems' and the update.
- More information found and added on zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) levels in engine oils, see Engine and click on 'Oils and ZDDP' and scroll down to the update.
- Information added on fuel pump types, i.e. points with capacitor and diode protection, and electronic pumps. See Fuel and click on 'Fuel Pumps' and 'Types'.
- Information on switches and repeater lamps for the heated rear window has been added, see Electrics and click on 'Heated Rear Window'.
- Replacing calipers and discs, see Brakes and click on 'Calipers'.
- Updated information on alternator terminal arrangements, see Electrics and click on 'Alternator/Dynamo' and 'Lucas alternator terminals'.
- Replaced the link cable with the correct armoured type, see Electrics and click on 'Batteries and Charging' and 'Link Cable'.
- How to get UK MOT status and history of a vehicle you are considering purchasing, see Registrations and click on 'Links'.
- Following a question on a mailing list about the correct orientation of the yokes on the prop-shaft (Haynes has two drawings showing them in different alignments but only one is correct) I decided to repeat the information shown in the factory workshop manual, which is much clearer, see Propshaft and click on 'Yoke Alignment'. However while doing so I realised that while both sources emphasise the prop-shaft must be refitted to the gearbox and axle flanges as before which is good practice but not really necessary if the prop-shaft is correctly balanced, neither states the importance of keeping all four yokes in correct alignment, which will affect balance. This is also covered.
- Information on earthing of chrome bumper number plate lights has been added, see Electrics and click on 'Lighting' and 'Number Plate Lights'.
- Seat belt information updated, see Body and click on 'Seat Belts'.
- Added some information on hoses, see Cooling and click on 'Hoses'.
- After wondering what condition Vee's bearings and crank are like after about 80k in my ownership and 200k overall I finally gear myself up to investigate them, see Engine and click on 'V8 Bearings'.
- The section on relays has been expanded, more info on original rectangular and cylindrical types as well as after-market types, see Electrics and click on 'Relays'.
- Coming up to Spring service time, and having read so much confusing information on engine oils and ZDDP, I decide to investigate. See Engine and click on 'Oils and ZDDP'.
- The trials and tribulations of the ZS Variable Intake System. Oil from the crankcase breather can get into the unit, cause the butterflies to jam, which breaks the linkages and burns out the motors. Although my VIS system appears to be working I do have some oil in the throttle body, so first step is to fit an oil trap/filter to prevent that, see ZS Bits and click on 'Variable Intake System'.
- Added information on the various water pump types over the years, see Engine and click on 'Water Pumps'.
- I've added some photos and further description about the heater unit and its controls, see Heater.
- Another 'ins and outs' funnily enough, this time the direction of oil flow through the V8 oil pump, see Engine and 'V8 Oil Flow'.
- The 'ins and outs' of the clutch slave cylinder, see Clutch and 'Slave Cylinder'.
- Added some information on relative capacities of 6v and 12v batteries, and 12v batteries for use in a 6v space. See Electrics and 'Batteries and Charging' and scroll down to the update.
- Found a photo in Clausager that clearly shows the heater 'cold air flap' having three open positions as both mine do, and not just two as everyone else seems to claim - Heater and 'Cold Air Flap'.
- I've created a list of translations of many BL fastener parts from part numbers to description at Miscellaneous, click on 'Nuts, Screws, Washers and Bolts' and 'Translate Part Numbers ...'.
- A table of fuel gauge and sender types over the years and markets has been added to Fuel, click on 'Fuel Gauge' and 'Gauge identification'.
- A description of battery types - lead-acid, calcium, gel and advanced glass mat - and some of the benefits and pitfalls of each has been added to Electrics, click on 'Batteries and Charging' and 'Battery Types'.
- Slow cranking? Diagnose a bad engine earth strap from the drivers seat - see Electrics and click on 'Won't Start', and 'It cranks very slowly'.
- Information on replacing the automatic gearbox kickdown cable at Gearbox and click on 'Auto Kickdown Cable'.
- Information on the electric temperature and oil pressure gauges at Electrics and click on 'Gauges'.
- Some advice on where to install an aerial in the front wing at Body and click on 'Aerial in front wing'.
- An examination of wiper system part number changes and which side parking took place at Electrics, click on 'Wipers' and 'Which side do you park?'.
- Further information on spring rates and deflections has been added to Suspension, click on 'Spring Specs'.
- An update on the arrangements for connecting the centre horn-push of 1970 and earlier cars has been added to Electrics, click on 'Horns' and scroll down to the update.
- Information has come to light regarding a change in date coding of Triplex glass in January 1969, see Miscellaneous, click on 'What Year?' and scroll down to 'Dating your car by its windows'.
- Information on fuel pump fittings and mounting arrangements for both chrome and rubber bumper cars has been added to Fuel and click on 'Fuel Pump Mounting'.
- Information on electric cooling fan orientation and direction of rotation has been added to Cooling, click on 'Electric Fans' and scroll down to the update.
- Some thoughts on pinking and the possible differences between high compression on its audibility and damaging effects has been added to Ignition, click on 'Distributor Curves' and scroll down to 'Pinking'.
- Information on the V8 distributor has been added to Ignition, click on 'Distributor Adjustments' and 'V8'.
- Information on radiator caps, and a lost-coolant recovery system has been added to Cooling, click on 'Radiator Cap'.
- More information on the correct orientation of the handbrake levers inside the drums has been added to Brakes, click on 'Handbrake' and scroll down to this update. In brief, it looks like those on banjo axles are the other way round/up to those on Salisbury/tube axles, but the manuals and some web sites only show the banjo orientation. If Salisbury/tube axle levers are orientated as per the banjo levers it causes problems with handbrake operation.
- Replacement of the wiper motor brushes, and a consequential problem. See Electrics, click on 'Wipers', 'Problems', and scroll down.
- A description of the physical operation of the indicator/turn switch has been added to Electrics, click on 'Indicator/Turn Switch'
- A comparison of distributor rotors, and an explanation of why some currently available items have a short life and how to spot and hence avoid them. See Ignition and click on 'Rotors'
- Is your folded hood/top too high to get the tonneau sticks and/or tonneau/hood cover fastened? If so have a look at Body, click on 'Roadster Hood/Top', 'Folding the hood/top' and scrolling down to the update
- I've added some information on steering column and rack alignment to Steering & Suspension, click on 'Column/Rack Alignment'. This replaces a link in the Miscellaneous section as more information has come to light.
- Information on orientation of the handbrake levers inside the rear drums and potential problems with replacement levers has been added to Brakes, click on 'Rear Shoes'.
- Pictures of the effect of a later roadster screen glass in an earlier have been added to Body and Fittings, click on 'Screens', 'Roadster Screen' and scroll down to the Note.
- The perils of getting air filter gaskets and/or filter bases upside down, Fuel and click on 'SU Carbs' and 'Air-filters'.
- How cleaning up caliper pistons changed strongly pulling to one side under only normal braking and an MOT failure, to only very slightly pulling under heavy braking and an MOT pass with the expenditure of only a couple of hours effort, Brakes and click on 'Calipers'.
- Added description and pictures of UK 78 (HIF) carb return springs to Fuel, click on 'SU Carbs' and 'Return Springs'.
- Changed the clutch on a friends 78, read the full gory story in Clutch and 'Clutch Change'.
- Following a question on just how the curious 4-cylinder chrome bumper choke works (it has a fixed inner and a moving outer), I've added a section to Fuel and 'Choke Control' on the carb end of this type.
- Information on SU carb ports added following someone's problems of overflow and the possibility it was reverse connection of fuel supply and vent ports, easily confused on HIF types, see Fuel and click on 'SU Carbs' and 'Ports'.
- Information on relay types used in the MGB over the years, and replacing them with modern items, see Electrics and click on 'Relays'.
- Replacing broken wire-wheel spokes, see Wheels and click on 'Wire Wheels' and 'Spoke Breakage/replacement'.
- Information on replacing an original inertia starter on Mk1 positive earth/ground cars with a modern geared or hi-torque unit has been added, see Electrics and click on 'Starter' and 'Modern Starters - 'Geared' vs 'Hi-Torque'.
- Information on the internals of the wheel-centre horn push added, see Electrics and click on 'Horns'.
- Information on the various crankcase ventilation systems has been added to Engines, click on 'Crankcase Breathing'.
- An observation on tyre pressures has been added to Wheels and Tyres, click on 'Tyre Pressure'.
- Hard on the heels of reports on the BBS of problems with clutch release bearings a fellow owner had one fail. The problem bearings seem to have the carbon ring pinned into the casting, instead of being bonded as previously. More information at Clutch, click on 'Release Bearing', and scroll down to the update.
- More information on throttle cable fitting and pedal travel setting has been added to Fuel, click on 'Throttle Cable'.
- Information on changing the oils in the rear axle and gearbox/overdrive, see Rear Axle or Gearbox as appropriate and click on 'Oil Change'.
- Fitting a battery cut-off switch, see Electrics and click on 'Battery Cut-off Switch'.
- A greatly expanded Events section now containing over 1200 MG and other classic events world-wide.
- More information on speedo drive gear ratios added to Miscellaneous and click on 'Speedos'.
- Location of gearbox overdrive and reverse light switches, see Gearbox and Overdrive and click on 'Electrical Diagnosis' and 'Schematics', or Electrics and click on 'Lighting' and 'Reversing Lights' as required.
- Vacuum advance module internals, see Ignition and click on 'Vacuum Module'.
- Thermostats and coolant temperature - see Cooling and click on 'Thermostats and Coolant Temperature'.
- Some comments on lowering rubber bumper cars added to Steering and Suspension, click on 'Ride Height', and scroll down a bit.
- Opinion has it that originally overdrive wasn't a very popular option on MGBs in North America. To see just how big the difference was between North America and the rest of the world see Gearbox and click on 'Overdrive - How many were there?'.
- Following a discussion with another owner on rust protection and drainage, I have added a section on the sills, see Body and click on 'Sill Construction and Drainage'.
- Added a section on distributor internals, see Ignition and click on 'Points Types'.
- More information on the boot/trunk lock and getting in when it fails or you lose the key, see Body and click on 'Boot/trunk Release'.
- Converting 16AC Alternator with Separate Regulator to Later Alternator with Integral Regulator. See Electrics and click on 'Alternator/Dynamo'.
- A physical diagram of the D-type relay and vacuum switch interconnections to the remainder of the circuit has been added to the page with the schematic, see here.
- Details on correct orientation of the 4-fuse fusebox, see 'Electrics' and click on 'Wire Colours, Fuses, Terminal Numbering' and 'Fusebox'.
- The fitting of a 6-blade metal fan to a UK 72 car, in preference to an additional electric fan, for continental touring. See Cooling and click on 'Mechanical Fans'.
- Information about prop-shaft dimensions added. See Propshaft and click on 'Length'.
- Steering wheels, cancelling the indicators/turn signals, and what to do with after-market wheels on 77model year and later cars. See Steering and Suspension, click on 'Steering Wheels', and scroll down to 'Update'.
- Updated the section on replacing front springs. See Steering and Suspension, click on 'Front Spring Replacement', and scroll down to this 'Update'.
- Temperature gauges - how the earlier numerically calibrated compare with the later 'C-N-H' type, and how the senders for the electrical types vary resistance with temperature. See Cooling and click on 'Temp Gauge'.
- Rocker covers, and oil leaks from them. See Engine and click on 'Rocker Cover'.
- Fuel filters: Should they be full of fuel? See Fuel and click on 'Fuel Filter'.
- Schematic and amended description for converting from Dynamo to Alternator, see Electrics and click on 'Alternator/Dynamo' and 'Converting dynamo to alternator'.
- Fitted a cut-down mud-flap to each front wheel arch to prevent stoned being flicked up and chipping the edges of the body kit. See ZS Bits and click on 'Mud Flaps'.
- Some ponderings on mechanical cooling fans their closeness (or otherwise) to the engine and radiator. Mine seems the wrong way round but the correct way round would be likely to hit engine parts and be a long way from the radiator. See Cooling and click on 'Mechanical Fans'. Also sealing round the radiator with the rubber and foam seals, same link and click on 'Radiator Diaphragm Seals'.
- Changed the V8 rear springs following the breakage on the Snowdon Run. Half-expected to get the same problems that so many others seem to report with new springs being too arched/hard, but no. See Steering and Suspension and click on 'Rear Spring Replacement'.
- Pictures and description added for the later two-speed wiper motor connector block and park switch. See Electrics, click on 'Wipers', and scroll down to 'Mechanical problems'.
4th July 2007
- After lusting after a ZS 180 since their launch in 2001, a late 2004 face-lift 4-door in blue comes to the attention of a relative in the trade and becomes mine today. This one really does have my name on it, the three last letters of the registration are my initials - albeit in reverse order.
- Head gasket replacement on a Midget 1500, see Midget Bits
- My Supercar driving experience in a Lamborghini Gallardo, Jaguar XK 4.2, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 997 Carrera, and Ferrari 550 Maranello!
- After 17 years with Bee and 14 of Vee having no problem removing the rear axle level plugs, this year I could not remove Vee's, so made an adapter for my socket set. See 'Rear Axle' and click on 'Level/Drain Plugs'.
- "How the heck do I get to that aerial mounted in the front wing?", see 'Body' and click on 'Aerial in Front Wing'.
- The trials and tribulation of the V8 tubular manifolds and gaskets, see 'Engine' and click on 'V8 Exhaust Manifolds'.
- Description and schematics of the four types of seat-belt warning systems at 'Electrics' and click on 'Seat Belt Warning'.
- Description and schematics of the four types of brake balance and handbrake warning circuits at 'Brakes' and click on 'Brake Balance and Handbrake Warning'.
- A list of tach reference numbers by year, chassis number and market at 'Electrics' and click on 'Tachometer'.
- Greatly expanded and updated listing of Amazon products. Includes new pages for T-series and earlier
Magnettes Metro Maestro and Montego ZR ZS and ZT general MG items and new sections for audio/visual
toys and miscellaneous items including parts. See 'Bookcase'.
- Ditto for Bugatti and F1 and Le Mans.
- Puzzled by terminal numbering on modern relays flasher units etc? See 'Electrics' and click 'Wire Colours Fuses Terminal Numbering' and 'Terminal Numbering'.
- Updated the section on SU carb linkages to include information on return springs. See 'Fuel' and click on 'SU Carbs' and 'Return Springs'.
- A description and images of the manual choke control and 'failure to lock' problems. See 'Fuel' and click on 'Choke Control'.
- Scans of original paint charts have been added to 'Body'. Click on 'Paint Colours' and the link in the first paragraph.
- For a description and images of the back of the two different types of current-operated tachometers see 'Electrics' and click on 'Tachometer'.
- A brief explanation of octane ratings and how they differ from country to country has been added to 'Fuel'
click on 'Octane Ratings'.
- An explanation of a typical column mounted dip-switch has been added to 'Electrics'
click on 'Dip-Switch'.
- A description of the different distributor drive gears on the V8
and driving the oil pump from a drill to build up oil pressure after engine work. See 'Ignition'
click on 'Distributor Drive Gear' and 'V8'.
- Pictures and an expanded description of the fuel gauge tank sender added to 'Fuel'
click on 'Fuel Gauge' and scroll down to 'Tank Sender'.
- Photos of the internals of a fuel gauge showing how the calibration adjustments affect the pointer added to 'Electrics'
click on 'Gauges' and scroll down to 'Calibrating the gauge'.
- Comparison of LED and incandescent instrument lighting added to 'Electrics'
click on 'Lighting' and 'Instrument Lights' then scroll down to 'Uprating Instrument Lights'.
- Description and images of the panel light rheostat added to 'Electrics'
click on 'Lighting' and 'Instrument Lights'.
- Torque values for the factory V8 and other Rover v8 engines added to 'Misc'
click on 'Nuts Screws Washers and Bolts' and 'Torque Values'.
- More information on OD and TCSA wiring and the mysterious TCSA micro-switch. See 'Electrics' and click on 'Schematics' and 'Overdrive'.
- A comparison on carb and manifold vacuum sources
showing that any distributor can be used with either. See 'Ignition' and click on 'Vacuum Advance - Carb vs Manifold'.
- Created a section on the starter motor including narrative on model variations
modern geared starters
and including the previously published schematics and narrative on jump-starting. See 'Electrics' and click on 'Starter'.
- A very simple way of supporting the GT spare wheel cover while getting tools and stuff in and out of the storage spaces underneath. See Body and click on 'GT Wheel Cover'.
- Going back from tubular Spax to lever-arms. See Steering & Suspension and click on 'Tubular Dampers'.
- Anyone tried Tesco 99 octane with 5% Bio Ethanol yet? See Fuel and click on 'Unleaded'.
- Schematics for single- and dual-speed heater fans added at 'Electrics' under 'Schematics' and 'Heater Fan'.
- Make your own rear brake cylinder E-clip fitting tool
- Having responded to a question on a bulletin board and a personal email about lubrication of leaf springs I've added a section to 'Steering and Suspension'
click on 'Leaf Spring Lubrication'.
- Ditto on adjusting wing and door mirrors
see 'Body' and click on 'Wing/door Mirrors'.
- Having responded to a question on the mailing list about how the SU carb works I've added a description and some simplified diagrams to the section on setting them up. See 'Fuel' and click on 'SU Carbs' and 'Theory'.
- Now it's winter and I have time to do one of those 'when I can get a round tuit' jobs I have changed the distributor curve graphs so that those for the 4-cylinder engine are now all to the same horizontal and vertical scales
and the thumbnails on the main page are miniatures of the main graph. This allows you to see at a glance from the main page how two curves compare. See 'Ignition' and 'Distributor Curves'.
- Looks like there may be fourth variation of wiper motor and electrics on early GTs
info added to 'Electrics' and 'Wipers'.
- Added some pictures to the section of folding the roadster hood/top
click on 'Body' and 'Roadster hood/top'.
- Replacing accelerator cable
pedal box seals. Click on 'Fuel System' and 'Accelerator cable'.
- Replacing seat webbing
click on 'Body' and 'Seats'.
- Added a section on converting from dynamo to alternator in 'Electrics'
click on 'Alternator/Dynamo' and 'Converting ...'.
- There have occasionally been questions about how ignition switches are wired
especially when changing them and the original connections have been lost
so I have created a set of these at 'Electrics' under 'Schematics' and 'Ignition Switch Connections'.
- I have also shown how to add a brake light switch relay as there seem to be a lot of examples of premature failure of replacement switches. See 'Brakes' and click on 'Brake Light Switch'.
- Following recent additional information on the wiring of electric cooling fans for both 4-cylinder cars and V8s I have updated the schematics and notes in 'Electrics' under 'Schematics' and 'Electric Cooling Fans'.
- Also added information on how to add a relay to the 4-cylinder circuit in 'Electrics' under 'Schematics' and 'Electric Cooling Fans'.
- Had the roadster screen crack on the Lincolnshire Lanes run last month
and the fun of getting it replaced can be seen on the 'Body' page under 'Roadster Screen'.
- As the problem of water getting into the cabin from a blocked air intake drain crops up quite frequently
and we are approaching autumn
I've added some images of how to locate and clear the drain on the 'Heater' page under 'Air Box'.
12th August 2004
- Not spent much time here lately
just bits and pieces
but I have added more classic car hire sites and a new section for children's pedal and electric cars on the 'MG Links' page
near the bottom.
19th March 2004
- A comment on whether to use resistor-type spark plugs or not has been added to the 'Ignition System' page
click on 'Spark Plugs'.
23rd February 2004
- Speedo serial numbers and applications on the 'Miscellaneous' page now show TPMs as supplied by a company specialising in the restoration of original instruments and the production of bespoke instruments.
11th February 2004
7th January 2004
- Speedo serial numbers and applications on the 'Miscellaneous' page.
- The new UK Car Tax and SORN (Statuary Off-Road Notice) rules on the Registrations page.
15th December 2003
- The good news and bad news of my experiences with the Ron Hopkinson front and rear anti-roll bars at Steering and Suspension and click on 'Anti-roll Bars'.
- Faulting the electronic tachometer at Electrics
and click on 'Tachometer'.
1st December 2003
- A major new section on the heater and its foibles at Heater.
- Tightening and slackening exhaust clamps can be a bit of a chore having to get two spanners in there
one to undo the nut and the other to hold the bolt still. The special bolts described in Engine and click on 'Exhaust Clamps' allow one-handed tightening.
21st November 2003
- Handbrake cables stretch over time and this is compensated for by the adjuster nut where the cable joins the handbrake lever. But eventually you can run out of adjustment and it is a pity to scrap the cable if it is otherwise sound. A shortener is described in Brakes
click on 'Handbrake' and scroll down a bit.
6th November 2003
- After having two V8 vacuum capsules fail because of petrol contamination
and replacing them at great expense
I fabricated a separation chamber in an attempt to stop fuel running down the pipe from the carb. See 'V8 Vacuum Capsule' in Ignition.
17th October 2003
29th September 2003
- Replacing front and rear wing 1/4-panels aka sill cover panels in Body and Fittings.
- Refurbishing V8 alloy wheels in Wheels.
26th August 2003
- The placement and securing of two curious bits of carpet for the boot/hatch area has been added to the Body and Fittings page.
4th August 2003
30th July 2003
- Fabricating and fitting longer shackles for the rear springs
and more information on correct (and incorrect) ride height
has been added to the 'Steering and Suspension' page under 'Ride Height'.
1st July 2003
- Differences between D and LH overdrives including a schematic and description of the D-type vacuum switch and relay have been added to the 'Gearbox' page
and schematics of all types have been added to the 'Electrics' page under 'Schematics'.
27th June 2003
- Differences between early and later fuel gauges have been added to the 'Electrics' page under 'Gauges'.
- A description of the brake test diode and the problems it causes has been added to the 'Electrics' page under 'Wont Start'.
- Electrical diagnosis of the overdrive has been added to the 'Gearbox' page.
- Some additions to the torque values on the 'Miscellaneous' page.
21st May 2003
- A description and link to a schematic of the electric screen washer on the 'Electrics' page.
18th May 2003
- The Mark II version of the overdrive sequencer on the 'Gearbox' page.
- Relays and fuses for uprated headlamps under 'Lighting' on the 'Electrics' page.
- Torque values on the 'Miscellaneous' page.
9th May 2003
- Gold Seal engine equivalents added to the 'Engine' page.
7th May 2003
- Following an email from someone considering purchasing an MGB and asking my advice I have put their questions and my responses here.
28th April 2003
- The V8 gets a top-end rebuild
see the 'Engine' page.
- Year and model information added to the Paint Colours section on the 'Body' page.
14th February 2003
All on the 'Electrics' page:
- An opinion on whether to stick with twin-6v batteries in your chrome bumper or change to a single 12v and the use of plastic battery boxes
and how to connect a battery charger.
- Advice on jump-starting.
- A louder audible warning for the turn signals.
17th January 2003
Added detailed tables of wiring changes over the years. See 'Wiring Colours and Fuses' on the 'Electrics' page.
4th January 2003
Adding a relay to the Heated Rear window
which simultaneously improves its performance as well as stopping it from making the indicators flash slower. See 'Heated Rear Window' on the 'Electrics' page.
More links added to the Miscellaneous page on: the UK MOT; servo overhaul; tach repair and upgrade; distributor reference and tuning
look for the flash.
1st January 2003
As a result of a faulty distributor cap on the V8 I got some unusual indications on a timing light
see 'Timing Lights' on Ignition.
31st December 2002
Three upcoming changes to obtaining replacement number plates and Tax Discs on the Registrations page.
13th December 2002
14th November 2002
- As the Spanners section has been completely restructured all the old links below have been changed to take you to the top of the relevant section rather than to the item itself. A link to the item should appear in the list at the top of the section.
22nd October 2002
29th August 2002
19th February 2002
23rd December 2001
12th November 2001
- More information on running-on including a description and schematic of the North American system.
2nd July 2001
5th April 2001
24th March 2001
23rd March 2001
- Paint chips - see the original BMC/BL colours and compare them.
- The Christening of our first grandchild
at the Church her Mum was Christened at 25 years ago and in the same gown as the previous four generations
now 115 years old.
10th March 2001
1st March 2001
28th February 2001
- The naming of the new MG saloons
and announcing the MG Sports Estate
on 'Whither MG' (deleted).
12th February 2001
- Added front and rear spring specifications
height and weight info to the 'Ride Height' page.
1st February 2001
- Lots of info about new models from MG Rover in 'Whither MG?' (deleted).
28th January 2001
7th January 2001
- Added Mike Jones' 64 Roadster to the 'Ride Height' page
making 24 cars in all from 1963 to 1979.
- More pictures of Stalag 383 from Ian Martin.
23rd November 2000
- Announcement of the MG X10 from MG Rover (subsequently part of the Z-series).
8th November 2000
- V8 Dizzie Curve.
- A neat bit of morphing from the BBC's 'The Car's The Star' featuring the MGB. (Takes about 3.5 mins to download at 56k)
22nd October 2000
- Unashamedly non-LBC
the birth of our first grandchild
9th October 2000
28th September 2000
29th August 2000
28th August 2000
11th August 2000
- Added Lars-Erik Kallstrom's 79 Roadster to the ride height page.
8th August 2000
31st May 2000
16th May 2000
17th March 2000
- Following the news that BMW has dumped Rover and MG I have added a page of links to news items covering items covering particularly MG (deleted).
8th March 2000
- Still more information on Unleaded.
- Links to other sites with technical information added to each section.
21st February 2000
27th January 2000
- Another update to the Unleaded information
including two new additives
advice from the Automobile Association and the locations of UK filling stations selling 4-star leaded - yes
the good old stuff.
- Schematics for electric cooling fans.
22nd January 2000
- An expanded description of ignition theory
with more information on the purpose and effects of the distributor capacitor or condenser
including graphs of LT and HT voltage waveforms showing the effects of the capacitor.
14th January 2000
12th January 2000
- A comparison of British and American terminology.
- An excellent site-search facility hosted by
FreeFind> (no connection blah blah financial or otherwise blah blah I just like it). You could have the same search facility on your own site in just a few minutes.
4th January 2000
11th December 1999
8th December 1999
6th December 1999
- Schematics for circuits in the 'Electrics' section including ignition
turn signals and hazard warning signals
others will be added in the future. The availability of a schematic is indicated by this graphic: .
22nd November 1999
- The theory and practice of the Ignition Warning Light
including general charging issues
and the special conditions that apply to late cars equipped with the ignition relay.
29th October 1999
- Updated information and a warning on unleaded information now that 4-star leaded has started to disappear from forecourts.
- Lots of history for 'Bee' and 'Vee' added.
3rd October 1999
- Advance curve information for the 40943 Special Tuning distributor from John in Australia.
9th September 1999
16th August 1999
13th August 1999
- Use the Site Map option on the main side-bar to help you see what is where.
6th August 1999
- Get an EMail notification of when this page changes
i.e. when some new feature has been added or an existing one changed. Enter your EMail above and click the 'Mind-it' button.
21st July 1999
- A link to "Cars And Stuff"
a superb site packed with factual information on speed cameras (or not)
snakeoils etc. plus humour - "motorway mayhem"
daft place names
car modifications we could do without
- Following a question on the MG BBS
what will hopefully become a growing resource on Ride Height.
- Revamped book sections for MG
Formula 1 and Dunkirk
28th June 1999
- On my Registrations page
UK-style plates for North American cars.
- An Index facility to help you find that techy bit that you are sure you have read but just can't find. Update - now deleted
use the Search option instead.
17th June 1999
- Engine mounts. A particular issue concerning V8s - it is possible to position the mounts incorrectly which alters the location of the engine and causes problems with the crankshaft pulley rubbing on the anti-roll bar
the sump resting on the front cross-member and wearing through
and also re-fitting the gearbox cross-member. Also contains advice on replacing the rubber mounts used in V8s and the later four-cylinder cars.
14th June 1999
8th June 1999
3rd June 1999
27th April 1999
- Run out of MG stuff to buy your SO? Well at least wrap that nice pair of socks in some MG wrapping paper from Morris Manor Collectibles. Also greetings cards
art representing many classic British "Trains
Planes and Automobiles".
26th April 1999
- Information on the first four petrol Lead Replacement products to be given a degree of approval by FBHVC/MIRA in the UK.
- Fixing electric gauges.
- A link to the K&N Filters UK site
which unlike the USA site contains details of suppliers worldwide.
- A link to the Autodata Publications site who sell a booklet that claims to have information on what modifications each type of engine requires to run on unleaded - Unleaded Petrol Information Manual
1st April 1999
16th March 1999
13th March 1999
It seems that Explorer can cope with back and fore slashes in URLs but Netscape can't. Hopefully all images should be viewable on Netscape now.
10th March 1999
this page is
for a start.
The following "Hammer and Spanner" sections have had detail added: